What better way to show a little love for the environment — and for crafting — than by turning something old into something new! Drop by Monday, July 10 between 6:30 and 8:30 in the Friends Room of the Columbia Public Library, where we’ll be upcycling t-shirts into fun crafts.
Bring a t-shirt you’d like to re-purpose (or help yourself to one of ours) and I’ll show you how to turn it into a shopping bag. Learn how to make fabric yarn out of t-shirts and old sheets. Fabric yarn can be used for dozens of different crafts, but Monday night we’ll be using it to create headbands, infinity scarves and even rag rugs if you have the time!
And once you’ve started upcycling, you’ll realize just how many fun things you can make out of what you have lying around. If you’re in need of ideas for other upcycling crafts, just check out one of these books from the library:
- “Upcycling: Create Beautiful Things With the Stuff You Already Have” by Danny Seo
- “DIY Fashionista: 40 Recycling, Upcycling and Crafty Projects” by Geneva Vanderzeil
- “Jewelry Upcycled! Techniques and Projects for Reusing Metal, Glass, Plastic, Fiber and Found Objects” by Sherri Haab
- “DIY Wood Pallet Projects: 35 Rustic Modern Upcycling Ideas to Personalize Your Space” by Karah Bunde
- “Furniture Makeovers: Simple Techniques for Transforming Furniture With Paint, Stains, Paper, Stencils and More” by Barbara Blair