- Portrait: A photograph of a person or group of people observed in their natural environment.
- Nature: A photograph that includes animals, plants, landscapes or panoramic views.
- Artistic Showcase: A creative photograph that may not fit in the other two categories.
This contest is open to all teens ages 12-18 in Boone and Callaway Counties. All eligible entries will be showcased at teens.dbrl.org. Review contest rules and submission guidelines at teens.dbrl.org/photo-contest. Questions? You may contact a librarian for answers at firstname.lastname@example.org or (573) 443-3161.
Originally published at “Spark a Reaction” Teen Photography Contest.
“It’s a great art, is rowing. It’s the finest art there is.” ~ George Pocock, as quoted by Daniel James Brown in “The Boys in the Boat”
Inspired by this year’s One Read selection, we invite Mid-Missouri artists to contribute works that explore a range of experiences and views of water, whether from shore or flying across the water itself, “in a poem of motion, a symphony of swinging blades.”
Cash prizes will be awarded for three winners, courtesy of Columbia’s Office of Cultural Affairs. The third place winner will receive $50, the second place winner $75 and the first place winner $125. The first place winner will also receive a $100 gift certificate from the Columbia Art League Art, good for use towards any class. Art will be displayed September 7-20 at Orr Street Studios with an opening reception, awards and program on Tuesday, September 9 at 6 p.m.
- Artists must be at least 16 years of age.
- Artists may submit one work in any visual medium.
- Pieces should be ready for display; pieces without secure hanging wire cannot be accepted (no sawtooth hangers, please).
- Work should be labeled on the back with your name, phone number or email, title of the work and medium used.
- Submit artwork to Orr Street Studios (106 Orr Street, Columbia).
- Submission dates are:
- Friday, September 5, Noon-5 p.m.
- Saturday, September 6, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
- After the exhibit, artists can pick up their artwork Saturday, September 20 between noon and 5 p.m. or Sunday, September 21 between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m.
Questions? Contact Lauren Williams at 573-443-3161 or by E-mail.