OverDrive offers eBooks and audiobooks that can be downloaded to your computer, e-reader or an Android or Apple device via the Libby and OverDrive apps.
To use this free service, you need to live in our designated service area and have a current Daniel Boone Regional Library card.
How do I get it?
Note: OverDrive currently has two apps for mobile devices: Libby and OverDrive. It is recommended that new users get started with Libby because it will eventually replace the OverDrive app completely.
For tablets and smartphones
- Visit your device’s app store (Google Play for Android Devices or the App Store for Apple iOS devices), find and install the Libby or OverDrive app. It is recommended that new users get started with Libby because it will eventually replace the OverDrive app completely.
- Find your library by name or postal code.
- Log in to the app using your library card number and PIN. You can also log in using an OverDrive account which you create.
For all other devices
- Depending on whether you plan to read or listen to books on a computer, e-reader or MP3 player, the software you need to use OverDrive varies.
- Visit OverDrive’s getting started page, and scroll down to select instructions for your device or computer.
- Search dbrl.overdrive.com to find and download your favorite titles.
How many items can I check out at a time?
Borrow up to 10 titles at a time and return them early if you want. You can place up to 7 titles on hold.
How long can I keep the items I borrow from OverDrive?
Keep items for 7, 14 or 21 days – you can set your default preferences in your OverDrive account settings. You can also choose the lending period for individual items when you check out.
Can I return items early?
Yes. The procedures for returning items vary depending on whether you are using the OverDrive app, a Kindle device or Adobe Digital Editions on your computer.
Can I read or listen to what I borrow on more than one device?
Yes. In the new Libby app, your eBooks will sync across devices when you sign in with the same library card number and PIN.
See OverDrive’s help page for more detailed information.