It’s back-to-school season, which means it’s important to be ready with some quick and healthy after school snacks for your kids. Here’s some suggestions (from one parent to another).
- Cut apples, bananas, celery and/or carrots into spears or slices, and dip them into creamy peanut butter. Try mixing vanilla yogurt into the peanut butter to transform it into a soft dip!
- Grab some of your favorite bite-sized foods like nuts, dried fruits, cereals, pretzels and crackers, then mix them into a homemade trail mix. Make some ahead of time, and portion them into individual plastic bags for several days of snacks.
- Take a tortilla and layer cold cuts, cheeses, greens and vegetables. Roll it up tight and then cut into small circles to make chilled pinwheel sandwiches.
- Slice bagels sideways into thin circles. Brush the tops with melted butter, and bake for 10 minutes at 325 degrees. Remove from oven, flip it and top with a little more butter. Add toppings like cinnamon, sugar or garlic and cheddar cheese. Place them back in for another 10 minutes. When you’re done, you’ve got a crunchy bagel chip.
- Try freezing bananas or small drops of flavored yogurt on wax paper to for a frozen treat to cure the bus ride blues.