First Thursday Book Discussion – Columbia
At the Columbia Public Library at noon on the first Thursday of each month.
- January 2019: “Homegoing” by Yaa Gyasi
This novel follows the descendants of two half-sisters, unknown to each other, born into two different tribal villages in 18th century Ghana. Effia will be married off to an English colonial to live in comfort in the Cape Coast Castle, while her sister, Esi, will be imprisoned in that same castle’s dungeon, bound to be sold into slavery in America.
- February 2019: “Grit” by Angela Duckworth
In this self-help book, Duckworth explores what it takes to succeed, recounting her own experiences and professional studies that led to her hypothesis that success is determined by a blend of passion and perseverance.
First Thursday Book Discussion – Fulton
At the Callaway County Public Library at noon on the first Thursday of each month.
- January 2019 (Meeting changes to first Thursday – January 3): “Clock Dance” by Anne Tyler
This novel centers around the everyday life of a woman who decides that it’s never too late to change direction and choose your own path.
- February 2019 (Meeting changes to first Thursday – February 7: “Alternate Side” by Anna Quindlen
This novel follwos an empty nester whose comfortable lifestyle is abruptly shaken by a violent act in her neighborhood.
Pick-Your-Own Book Club
At the Southern Boone County Public Library on the fourth Tuesday of each month. We pick a theme, and you choose a book that’s related. Pick any fiction or nonfiction title to read, and then come discuss it with the group.
- No meeting in December
- January 2019 theme: “Baby, it’s cold outside”
- February 2019 theme: short stories