- An Adult’s Guide to the Pokémon Go Craze
- Reader Review: Why Be Happy When You Could Be Normal?
- Racing Forward: Docs About Runners
- Reader Review: David and Goliath
- Seventh Adult Summer Reading Gift Card Winner!
- Bone-Chilling Reads for the Dog Days of Summer
- On Your Mark, Get Set, Exercise Your Brain!
Improve Your Job Skills at the Library
Eric took a class called "Project Management" to optimize workflow in his office, with hopes it would lead to a promotion. Amy wanted to get a better-paying job, but needed to learn Excel first. Jen took paramedic practice tests to improve her chances of passing her exam.
These are just a few scenarios people encounter in the job market. Whether you're looking for a new job or applying for a promotion, additional training can give you the edge you need to compete against others vying for the same position.
But knowing where to go to get training, paying for it and carving out time to do it are stumbling blocks for many people. You may not realize that the Daniel Boone Regional Library connects you to quality online continuing education resources you can use for free. The online format lets you learn at your own pace at any hour of the day, so you can easily fit in class time around work, kids' activities and errands.
Universal Class offers over 500 continuing education classes taught by real instructors on a variety of subjects such as computer training, business classes and health services training.
Through LearningExpress Library you can also take classes, practice for tests and improve job skills. Learn to use Adobe Photoshop, for example. Or take practice certification and aptitude tests in a number of career areas such as electrican, military service, plumbing and teaching.
Use these services from home or bring a laptop computer, tablet or mobile device to the library and use our free wireless access. If you don't have a computer at home or have a slow connection, come use the library's public computers. All you need is a free library card to get started. Apply for one online at www.dbrl.org/librarycard.
Give Universal Class and LearningExpress Library a try and see if they match your work goals and fit your schedule. Your only investment is your time, and it could lead to better pay for years to come.
- Accounting and Bookkeeping 101
- Administrative Assistant Fundamentals
- Autism Spectrum Disorders for Teachers
- Business Management 101
- Caring for Seniors
- Computerized Accounting With QuickBooks
- Dealing With Difficult People
- Diversity Training 101
- Early Childhood Development
- Event Planning 101
- How to Write a Grant Proposal
- Introduction to Medical Coding
- Landlord 101: Managing
- Rental Properties
- Legal Secretary
- Mediation 101
- Medical Terminology 101
- Nursing Assistant Overview
- Project Management
- Statistics 101
- Writing Basics 101
Course offerings subject to instructor availability and market conditions.
- Computer software tutorials (Photoshop, PowerPoint, Word, etc.)
- Guidance, licensing, certification and aptitude practice tests for:
- Air Traffic Controller
- Civil Service
- Commercial Driver's License
- Culinary Arts
- Emergency Medical Services
- Law Enforcement
- Legal Career Guidance
- Military Service
- Nursing and Allied Health
- Real Estate