Current Local Exhibits
- Lincoln: the Constitution and the Civil War
A traveling exhibit produced in collaboration with the National Constitution Center in Philadelphia and the American Library Association, "Lincoln: the Constitution and the Civil War" is now on view in the MU Law Library (first floor of Hulston Hall) from September 18-October 31, 2014. A complementary exhibit is also on view in the Ellis Library Colonnade. In conjunction with this exhibit, the MU Libraries and cosponsors are hosting a series of events on and off the MU campus, including several events at the Columbia Public Library
- ALA Booklist
Please see this booklist for titles about Lincoln, the Constitution and the Civil War compiled by the American Library Association in correspondence with the traveling exhibit.
- ALA Booklist
- American History Online
Spans more than 500 years of political, military, social, and cultural history, highlighting the important people and events of the American experience.
Census data, genealogy and family research. (Due to license restrictions, this resource is only available for use within the library.)
Civil War in Missouri
Books & Articles
- Check out our Civil War and Missouri book list in the DBRL catalog.
- Browse books on the border war with Kansas in the DBRL catalog.
- Civil War Sesquicentennial Project
A series of articles and tweets by Columbia Daily Tribune reporter Rudi Keller on aspects of the Civil War in Mid-Missouri with information on local area events commemorating the war's 150th anniversary.
- “Abraham Lincoln’s election presages divide in state”
First in a series of articles by Rudi Keller published in the Columbia Daily Tribune, November 6, 2010.
History & Resources
- Civil War in Missouri - State Historical Society of Missouri
Browse letters and diaries to discover how Missourians, civilians and military, experienced the Civil War through select newspaper accounts of battles, troop movements and guerrilla attacks from 1861-1865.
- Community & Conflict: The Impact of the Civil War in the Ozarks
Created by the Springfield-Greene County Library District and several organizations in the Ozarks, this site allows you to search documents by county, theme or battle for insights into how the Civil War affected the region as revealed through diaries, journals, court cases and a wealth of other materials.
- Missouri Civil War Heritage Foundation
Click on History to find biographies, battles (including the Battle of Centralia) and a timeline of events year by year.
- Mid-Missouri Civil War Project
View historic maps and places of interest in Columbia, plus images and transcriptions of diaries and local accounts of battles.
- Missouri Civil War Sesquicentennial
Historical background and resources on the war years with links to upcoming state events including reenactments of Missouri Civil War battles.
- Missouri Digital Heritage - Civil War in Missouri
From the Missouri State Library, a portal to a vast collection of newspapers, diaries, letters, photos, memoirs, military records and more.
Travel & Tourism
- The Missouri Civil War: Civil War Sites, Tours and Reenactments
Focuses on the historic sites and battles in the Arcadia Valley Region and the Black Valley River area of Iron County and Reynolds County, near St Louis.
- Missouri Dept. of Tourism
Find information about special events, exhibits and historic sites by region, including historic Missouri cemeteries.
Civil War - Nation
- See subject guides on Abraham Lincoln and Black Culture and History.
- Browse books and DVD/Videos about the Civil War in the DBRL catalog.
- America’s Civil War Magazine
Select articles and book reviews by Civil War scholars, including interviews with individuals who supervise the work of battlefield sites. The Columbia Public Library has the current and previous year’s issues.
Online exhibit about the war using the museum's extensive collections.
- Civil War Preservation Trust - Battle Apps
Take a personal tour of battlefields on iPhone with the GPS enabled battle apps. Map out an itinerary of some 600 battlefield sites along the Civil War Discovery Trail and download them from the site.
- National Parks Civil War Anniversary Site
Visit over 70 parks in the National Parks System with resources related to the Civil War. Search The Civil War Soldiers & Sailors System, an index of those who fought and died on both sides. To obtain microform or original records contact The National Archives (NARA).
- Selected Civil War Photographs Collection – Library of Congress
Over 1,000 photographs, “most made under the supervision of Mathew B. Brady."
- New York Times Disunion Blog
The blog “revisits and reconsiders America’s most perilous period – using contemporary accounts, diaries, images and historical assessments” through posts from various authors.