Health Insurance Marketplace
What is the Health Insurance Marketplace?
The Missouri Health Insurance Marketplace is a website created as part of the Affordable Care Act where you can compare health insurance plans and buy the plan that is right for you. Here you can shop for plans, compare options, see if you qualify for financial assistance, and enroll for coverage. The Open Enrollment Period for 2015 coverage has been extended. The extended enrollment period is March 15 through April 30, 2015.
How to Enroll Online
- Visit HealthCare.gov or CuidadoDeSalud.gov
- Create an account
- Fill out the application. You will need:
- Name, birth dates, age and Social Security Number for anyone applying
- Income information for anyone applying
- Policy numbers for any current health insurance plans covering household members
- Information about any employer-offered coverage, even if you have opted out
- Compare plan options
- Pick the plan that best meets your needs
Other Ways to Enroll
- By phone at 1-800-318-2596
- By mail: printable form and instructions.
- In person with the help of trained staff. See "Getting Help" below or visit localhelp.healthcare.gov to find a location near you.
At the Columbia Public Library
- Saturday Health Insurance Marketplace Extended Enrollment
Every Saturday during the extended enrollment period, March 15 through April 30, trained staff from local agencies will help you review plans, choose one that meets your needs and assist you with enrollment. Walk-ins welcome. See our online program calendar for details.
The following local organizations can provide in-person help. These organizations have trained staff who can answer questions and help you fill out your application.
- Central MO Area Agency on Aging
1121 Business Loop 70 East, Suite 2A, Columbia
Call 573-443-5823 to set up an appointment for one-on-one assistance. Persons do not need to be 60 and older. This service is open to all uninsured individuals and families.
- Central Missouri Community Action
Call 855-612-2259 toll free for assistance.
- Family Health Center
1001 W. Worley, Columbia
Call 573–886–6790 to set up an appointment for one-on-one assistance.
- Missouri Kidney Program
AP Green Building - Suite 111 201 Business Loop 70 West Columbia, MO
Call 573-882-2506 or 800-733-7345 to set up an appointment for one-on-one assistance.
- Primaris/Knowledge Management Associates
200 N. Keene Street, Columbia
Call 573-817-8338 to schedule individual assistance.
- Community Health Center of Central Missouri
561 Commons Drive, Fulton
Call 573-632-2777 for assistance.
Forms and More Information
- Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services
A comprehensive selection of health insurance marketplace resources from CMS.gov
- Cover Missouri
A project of the Missouri Foundation for Health (MFH) to promote quality, affordable health coverage for every Missourian, including guidance for Missourians exploring options for coverage under the Affordable Care Act.
- Kaiser Family Foundation
Healthcare reform information and resources from the Kaiser Family Foundation.
- The Missouri Health Insurance Marketplace for Individuals - Fact sheet coming soon (being updated for 2015)
- Frequently Asked Questions from covermissouri.org - coming soon (being updated for 2015)
- Health Insurance Marketplace information for other states.
- About Medicare and the Health Insurance Marketplace
If you are currently enrolled in the Medicare program, you are already covered under a health insurance program and WILL NOT be required to participate in the new program.