Looking for some 4th of July fun with your little ones that doesn’t involve loud noises and fire? Try making some colorful water-works, a simple experiment that shows the interaction between oil, water and food coloring.
What you’ll need:
- Vegetable oil
- Food coloring (Any color will work, but blue and red are fun if you want to be patriotic!)
- Glass container (Large jars work great!)
What you’ll do:
- Put 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil into a bowl.
- Add 3 drops of 3 different food coloring colors. (Don’t mix them, or it might look muddy!)
- Use the fork to comb through the food coloring droplets, making them into multiple smaller droplets.
- Fill your glass container with water.
- Pour the contents of the bowl into the container of water. If you pour it quickly, you get a fast firework show with lots of pizzaz! If you pour slowly, you can extend the fun.
- Watch as the oil goes to the top and the food coloring falls through the oil, into the water. This will create beautiful “fireworks” sure to amaze your kiddos!