Starting & Running a Business
Provides more than 500 sample business plans, templates for pitch presentations, etc.
The U.S. Small Business Administration provides guides on a variety of business-related subjects, links to state and local resources, a database of over 5,000 forms useful for interacting with the U.S. government, etc.
- Mid Missouri SCORE
This nonprofit organization offers free business counseling to entrepreneurs and templates and tools for starting or growing a business. Low-cost workshops and other services are also available.
- Missouri Business Portal
This government website provides information on business registration, filings, licenses and permits for doing business in Missouri.
- Missouri Small Business Startup Guide
The Missouri Secretary of State’s guide to starting a small business.
- University of Missouri Small Business & Technology Development Center
Assists entrepreneurs with financial management, marketing, technology, and product development and provides a variety of training opportunities on starting or running a business.
Financing a Business
- Incentives and Financing (Missouri Business Portal)
The financing page of the Missouri Business Portal website provides information on possible sources of financing, grants and tax credits.
- Small Business Administration
Links for various possible sources of financial assistance provided by the SBA.
Local Chambers of Commerce
- Callaway Chamber of Commerce
- Centralia Chamber of Commerce
- Columbia Chamber of Commerce
- Southern Boone Chamber of Commerce
Local Business Associations
- Central Missouri Development Council
- Columbia's Downtown Community Improvement District
- Fulton Area Development Corporation
- Regional Economic Development, Inc. (REDI) – Columbia Area
- National Federation of Independent Business
Information about legislation affecting small business, government compliance issues, etc. (Requires membership for access to all resources.)
- International Franchise Association
Free search for basic information on franchise opportunities. (Requires membership for access to all resources.)
- U.S. Chamber of Commerce
Provides basic information about many business questions.
Local & Regional Business Periodicals
- Columbia Business Times
Columbia-based magazine providing information about local businesses, including advice for business owners.
- Kansas City Business Journal
- St. Louis Business Journal
- Thinking Bigger Business
National Business Directories & Corporate Information
- Reference USA
Includes 24 million+ U.S. businesses and 262 million U.S. residents; useful for developing lists of potential customers, competitors and suppliers.