Starting & Running a Business
Provides more than 300 sample business plans.
The U.S. Small Business Administration provides guides on a variety of business-related subjects, links to state and local resources, a database of over 5,000 forms useful for interacting with the U.S. Government, etc.
- Missouri Business Portal
A government website that includes business registration, filings, licenses and permits for doing business in Missouri.
- Missouri Small Business Advocacy Center
Includes a small business start-up guide, steps for starting a business and links to area business organizations.
- University of Missouri Small Business & Technology Development Center
Assists entrepreneurs with financial management, marketing, technology, and product development and provides a variety of training opportunities on starting or running a business.
Financing a Business
- Missouri Business Portal Resources
This website from the State of Missouri provides assistance in identifying possible sources of financing and includes a catalog of assistance programs such grants and tax credits.
- Small Business Administration
Links for various possible sources of financial assistance provided by the SBA.
Local Chambers of Commerce
- Centralia Chamber of Commerce
- Columbia Chamber of Commerce
- Kingdom of Callaway Chamber of Commerce
- Southern Boone County Chamber of Commerce
Local Business Associations
- Central Missouri Development Council
- Columbia's Downtown Community Improvement District
- Fulton Area Development Corporation
- Regional Economic Development, Inc. (REDI) – Columbia Area
- National Federation of Independent Business
Although a member organization, its website provides information about legislation affecting small business, government compliance issues, etc.
- International Franchise Association
Although a member organization, its website provides basic information on more than 1200 franchise opportunities.
- U.S. Chamber of Commerce
Provides basic information about many business questions.
Local & Regional Business Periodicals
- Columbia Business Times
Columbia-based newspaper providing information about local businesses, including advice for business owners.
- Kansas City Business Journal
- Kansas City Small Business Monthly
- St. Louis Business Journal
National Business Directories & Corporate Information
- Business Insights
Company profiles, trade publications, rankings, investment reports, company histories, chronologies and industry overviews.
- Reference USA
Includes 12 million+ U.S. businesses and 102 million U.S. residents; useful for developing lists of potential customers, competitors and suppliers.