Serving Boone and Callaway Counties and Columbia, Missouri
City of Ashland information includes government, events, maps, services, schools, utilities and more.
- Boone Electric Cooperative
Boone Electric Cooperative serves Boone, and portions of Randolph, Callaway, Howard, Audrain and Monroe Counties.
- Callaway Electric Cooperative
Callaway Electric Cooperative serves rural Callaway and southern Montgomery Counties
- Centralia Utilities
Provides electric, water, sewer and refuse collection services to the residents of Centralia.
- Columbia Utilities
Consumer information for utilities in Columbia: includes payment options and utility assistance programs.
- Columbia and Boone County – Ratings of Food Service Locations
Department inspection ratings of all food service establishments in Columbia and Boone County. Ratings include convenience stores, daycares, grocery stores, restaurants, schools and taverns.
- Fulton Utilities
Provides electricity, natural gas, water and sewer service to Residents of Fulton.
- Holts Summit Utilities
- Sturgeon Utilities
Back to Top
- Missouri Attorney General’s Office
Consumer Protection Hotline -1-800-392-8222
Comprehensive site for consumer information, programs and publications including: Missouri NO Call List, Check a Charity, Consumer Complaints, Safeguarding Seniors, Computer Phishing Scams and Product Recalls. The Know MO program is a searchable list of complaints the Attorney General’s Office has received about individuals or businesses.
- Missouri Division of Finance
Handles complaints concerning mortgage bankers, debt collection and harassment, credit bureaus, finance companies and state banks.
- Missouri Department of Insurance
Handles complaints against insurance companies and will verify credentials of insurance agents. This site provides a vast amount of information on consumer issues: auto, homeowners, health, life & annuities, long-term care, seniors, vehicle service contracts and workers compensation insurance.
- Missouri Public Service Commission
- The Missouri Public Service Commission regulates investor-owned electric, natural gas, water and sewer and telephone companies. The Commission will investigate complaints against public utilities including service problems, overcharges and manufactured housing defects.
- Missouri Investment Protection Center
(800) 721-7996 - Regulates investor-owned electric, natural gas, water and sewer and telephone companies. The Commission will investigate complaints against public utilities including service problems, overcharges and manufacture housing defects.
- Utility Cold Weather Rule
Missouri Cold Weather Rule prohibits disconnection of utility service November 1 through March 31 to registered low-income elderly or disabled customers.
Back to Top
Regional and National
- Consumer Reports
Consumer Reports features unbiased ratings and recommendations on thousands of products and services in categories including appliances, cars, electronics and computers, home and garden, health and fitness, babies and kids, food, personal finance, and travel.
- Better Business Bureau - St. Louis Bureau
The St. Louis Bureau provides service for Boone and Callaway Counties. The Better Business Bureau handles formal complaints about businesses and offers a free consumer arbitration service to settle disputes between businesses and consumers.
- Consumer Search
This comprehensive website covers nearly 800 product categories that contain reviews and articles on consumer products.
- Federal Citizen Information Center
Includes the Consumer Information Catalog which offers free or low cost information on
a wide variety of consumer issues.
Back to Top
Consumer Alerts and Recalls
- U. S. Consumer Product Safety Commission
Established to protect the public from risks associated with consumer products. This site includes product safety alerts, recalls and a Product Incident Report Form.
This is the comprehensive site for all government recalls. Six federal agencies have joined to provide recall information for consumer products, motor vehicles, boats, food, medicine, cosmetics and environmental products.
Back to Top
Credit Information and Identity Theft
- Credit Cards
A comprehensive site for credit card information from Bankrate.com allows you to compare rates of all major credit cards.
- Credit Reports
(877) 322-8228 -
The official free website to help consumers obtain a copy of their credit report. This site allows an individual to request a free credit report once every 12 months from each of the nationwide consumer credit reporting companies: Equifax, Experian and TransUnion.
- Missouri Attorney General - Credit Repair
Missouri Attorney General’s publication on credit repair and how to avoid becoming a victim of credit repair scams.
- Credit Repair for Bad Credit
Credit repair article from Nolo Press, a respected publisher of legal self-help books.
Topics include credit and debit cards, dealing with creditors, repaying debts and student loans.
- Missouri Attorney General - Identity Theft
Find out how to protect against identity theft and what to do if you are already a victim.
- Federal Trade Commission – Deter Identify Theft
Federal Trade Commission publication offers specific steps to “Deter, Detect and Defend” against identity theft.
Back to Top
Unwanted Mail and No Call List
- Catalog Choice
Catalog choice is a free service that lets you decline paper catalogs you no longer wish to receive.
- Missouri No Call
(866) 662-2551 - The No Call law allows Missourians to reduce unwanted telemarketing calls made to their homes by signing up for the No Call list, which is managed by the Attorney General's Office. There is no cost to get on the list.
Back to Top
Copyright © 2014 Daniel Boone Regional Library