Health Insurance Marketplace Guide
What is the Health Insurance Marketplace?
The Missouri Health Insurance Marketplace is a website created as part of the Affordable Care Act where you can compare health insurance plans and buy the plan that is right for you. Here you can shop for plans, compare options, see if you qualify for financial assistance and enroll for coverage. The Open Enrollment Period for 2021 coverage is November 1, 2020 to December 15, 2020. Enrollment has been extended until August 15, 2021 due to COVID-19. In some cases (loss of coverage, major life event), you may be qualified for a Special Enrollment Period.
How to Enroll Online
- Open enrollment begins November 1.
- Visit HealthCare.gov or CuidadoDeSalud.gov
- Create an account
- Fill out the application. You will need:
- Name, birth date, age and Social Security Number for anyone applying
- Income information for anyone applying
- Policy numbers for any current health insurance plans covering household members
- Information about any employer-offered coverage, even if you have opted out
- Compare plan options
- Pick the plan that best meets your needs
Other Ways to Enroll
- By phone at 1-800-318-2596
- By mail: printable form and instructions.
- In person with the help of trained staff. See “Getting Help” below or visit localhelp.healthcare.gov to find a location near you.
Get help from local organizations’ trained staff who can answer questions and help you fill out your application.
At Library Locations
Primaris Foundation, the organization that has coordinated in-person help at both our Columbia and Callaway library branches during the fall/winter, do not have the volunteer or staff capacity to offer in-person sign-up help at our libraries this year due to COVID-19.
- Mid-Missouri: 573-817-8338
- Throughout Missouri, contact Cover Missouri: 800-466-3213
- Aging Best
1121 Business Loop 70 East, Suite 2A, Columbia, MO
Call 573-443-5823 to set up an appointment for one-on-one assistance. Persons do not need to be 60 and older. This service is open to all uninsured individuals and families.
- Central Missouri Community Action
Call 573-443-8706 toll free for assistance.
- Family Health Center
1001 W. Worley St, Columbia, MO
Call 573-214-2314 or 877-677-4342 to set up an appointment for one-on-one assistance.
- Missouri Kidney Program
2800 Maguire Blvd. Suite B110, Columbia, MO
Call 573-882-2506 or 800-733-7345 to set up an appointment for one-on-one assistance.
- Primaris Foundation
4215 Philips Farm Road, Ste. 101-A, Columbia, MO
Call (573) 817-8300 or (800) 735-6776 to schedule individual assistance.
- Spectrum Health Care
1123 Wilkes Boulevard, Suite 250, Columbia, MO
Call 573-875-8687 to schedule individual assistance.
- Community Health Center of Central Missouri
561 Commons Drive, Fulton, MO
Call (573) 632-2777 for assistance.
Forms and More Information
- Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services
A comprehensive selection of health insurance marketplace resources from CMS.gov.
- Cover Missouri
A project of the Missouri Foundation for Health (MFH) to promote quality, affordable health coverage for every Missourian, including guidance for Missourians exploring options for coverage under the Affordable Care Act.
- Kaiser Family Foundation
Healthcare reform information and resources from the Kaiser Family Foundation.
- The Missouri Health Insurance Marketplace for Individuals – Fact Sheets – from covermissouri.org
- Frequently Asked Questions from covermissouri.org
- Health Insurance Marketplace information for other states.
- About Medicare and the Health Insurance Marketplace
If you are currently enrolled in the Medicare program, you are already covered under a health insurance program and WILL NOT be required to participate in the new program.