OverDrive offers eBooks, audiobooks and magazines that can be downloaded to your computer, e-reader or an Android or Apple device via the Libby app.
- Borrow up to 10 titles at a time.
- Keep items up to 21 days — and return them early if you want.
- Sync items in the Libby app and read your eBooks on multiple devices.
To use this free service, you need to live in Boone or Callaway County and have a current Daniel Boone Regional Library card.
How do I get it?
For tablets and smartphones
- Visit your device’s app store (Google Play for Android Devices, the App Store for Apple iOS devices or the Amazon Appstore for Kindle Fire Tablets), find and install the Libby app.
- Find your library by name or postal code.
- Log in to the app using your library card number and PIN (by default, your date of birth in the format MMDDYYYY).
For all other devices
- Depending on whether you plan to read or listen to books on a computer, e-reader or MP3 player, the software you need to use OverDrive varies.
- Visit OverDrive’s getting started page, and scroll down to select instructions for your device or computer.
- Search dbrl.overdrive.com or libbyapp.com/library/dbrl to find and download your favorite titles.
How many items can I check out at a time?
Borrow up to 10 titles at a time and return them early if you want. You can place up to 10 titles on hold.
How long can I keep the items I borrow from OverDrive?
Keep items for 7, 14 or 21 days – you can set your default preferences in your OverDrive account settings. You can also choose the lending period for individual items when you check out. Items can be renewed starting three days before their due dates if there are no holds on them.
Can I return items early?
Yes. The procedures for returning items vary depending on whether you are using the Libby app, a Kindle device or Adobe Digital Editions on your computer.
eBooks: See the “Returning and removing eBooks” section of OverDrive’s help pages and select the instructions for your device or computer.
Audiobooks: See the “Returning and removing audiobooks” section of OverDrive’s help pages and select the instructions for your device or computer.
Can I read or listen to what I borrow on more than one device?
Yes. In the Libby app, your eBooks will sync across devices when you sign in with the same library card number and PIN. Kindle books borrowed through the same Amazon account will sync across devices.
See OverDrive’s help page for more detailed information.